- 1.1 billion people
- The name Africa comes the Latin word aprica “sunny”.
- Or the Greek word aphrike (Αφρική), “without cold”.
- Africa has more countries than any other continent in the world
- 54 different countries in 5 different regions
- West Africa, Central Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa, North Africa,
- With various types of cultures, languages and climates and topography.
- Africa is the only continent that occupies all four of the Earth’s hemispheres.
- If you combine the USA, China, India, Europe and Japan – they all fit into Africa. In fact the USA fits into the African continent three times!
More Basic Facts about Africa
- 1.1 Billion people
- Fastest growing region in the world economically at 6% compared to East Asia’s 5%
- 50 percent of Africans are 19 years old or younger
- Current middle class is 310 million, which is more than the entire population of the United States.